Survey Results! | Part 2

Second Implementation Survey Results

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Compared to the previous feedback, the results were increasingly positive.
The predominant age range was 18 to 24-year-old.

Compared to the first survey, the predominant device used was the mobile phone followed by laptop and desktop computer. The tablet was still not used by any of the responders.

Regarding the operating system, MacOS was mostly used followed by Android and Windows with equal percentages. Also, iOS was used by two of the responders.

In this survey, the predominant type of headphones used were the closed back over-ear headphones (41.7%) followed by on-ear and earbuds headphones.

In addition to the headphone-based questions, some of the most important questions were based around the first reaction after seeing the demo, where 54.5% responded somewhat positive and 27.3% very positive. Regarding the three-dimensional space, 91.7% were able to hear it from left and right followed by 66.7% hearing it from the back, 50% from the above, 41.7% from the front and 33.3% from below. Another significant question was regarding the depth perception where 66.7% of the responders said that they were able to localize specific sounds in the space and felt the depth perception. The rest of 33.3% were not able to locate the sounds in the three-dimensional space.

When looking at the breakdown of the survey results, the conclusion is that the three-dimensional image on closed back headphones, which was an issue in the first implementation, has been solved as people responded very positively to the experience. The projects aim, to synthesize the 3D Audio for Headphones including the vertical plane, was 70% achieved at this stage.
The only issue found as result of this survey is that the front image is missing. Most of the responders were not able to hear the sound coming from the front.
The solution is, by adding an extra 2D Master BUS into the methodology, which will be decoded to first order ambisonics and using the ATK Transform plug-in, all the sound sent to that bus will be focused in the front of the listener.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s